mtheory is looking for a motivated, communicative, dedicated and highly organized individual to join the finance team, based in New York.
This role will support and report directly to the Controller, as well as mtheory senior management. Successful employees in this role must have the ability to handle many tasks and prioritize/organize the most important items while maintaining excellent communication skills to convey updates and potential challenges to their manager.
Applicants should have experience in some of these areas of accounting and be willing to learn about areas in which they do not have explicit experience. These include royalties, publishing, record labels, artist management, and special projects. Candidates must have the ability to learn quickly, build meaningful relationships and take initiative.
Assist the controller with financial statement reporting responsibilities, including:
- Monthly and quarterly closings
- Preparation and analysis of financial statements
- Revenue recognition and analysis
- General accounting
- Bank and account reconciliations
- Reconciliations and ad hoc analyzes
- Work with Data Analyst to ensure proper recording of sales data
- Analysis of marketing accounts and budget monitoring
- Assist with accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue tracking.
- Work with tax professionals to ensure proper and timely tax filings and reports.
- Prepare accounting statements and profit sharing reports for various artists and companies.
- Spend management and analysis to include Concur and American Express.
- Assist in the implementation of IT initiatives, including a royalty system and other IT products that create efficiencies
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and processes to improve business and customer productivity and efficiency – Best Practices.
- Prepare internal financial reports and supporting schedules
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Strong accounting skills and knowledge of GAAP
- Support financial objectives and operational needs
- Ability to grow with a growing organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Attention to detail and ability to work under pressure/to tight deadlines.
- Excellent Excel skills required
- Knowledge of Mac and Quickbooks an asset
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance.
- Knowledge of GAAP and SEC reporting requirements required.
- Experience in the music industry or in publishing, an asset
- CPA a plus, and/or 2+ years of experience with a Big 4 CPA audit firm.
Founded in 2010, mtheory is an artist development, marketing, strategy and operations framework designed for artist managers. As the music industry continues its rapid evolution, managers have had to take a much more active role in the artist development process. To meet this challenge, mtheory provides managers with the additional manpower and specialized knowledge needed to succeed. Our services include: strategic marketing, DSP relationships, product management, marketing and tour production expertise, business affairs, digital and social marketing, CRM and analytics. Additionally, we have distribution, production and financing capabilities that allow artists and managers to operate in a truly independent environment.
mtheory currently works with approximately 25 artist managers, representing over 100 artists across a wide range of genres. Our management clients represent top artists such as Flume, Galantis, Twenty Øne Pilots, NF, A$AP Rocky, Masego, Zac Brown Band, Tyler Childers and many more.
There is power in diversity, but not limited to, race, color, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socio-economic status, education, marital status, language, age, sex, gender expressions, gender identity, sexual orientation, mental and physical ability, and learning styles. Our team and our clients are stronger when we represent all differences and are committed to having an inclusive and open workspace.
Prospective candidates should submit a resume that summarizes work and educational history, as well as references.